Saturday, November 21, 2009

Ard Boyz. Blah.

So today was the WHF Ard Boyz tourney over at the bunker. I was tabled on game 1 - not playing a smart game at all, with some amazingly bad rolls. Cool opponent though - that group drove the 11 hours from Maryland!

I left after that game*, not having a chance to place and my leaving wouldn't adversely affect the other games. The plus side is I met a lot of cool folks I've only known by screen names or by podcast voices (Joe & Chuck over at the Waaaghcast). Also saw some regulars there, either playing or just hanging out.

In the end, I realized super competitive events like this are not for me. Thinking back to other tournaments, it's typically the soft scores I do better in (sportsmanship, appearance) versus battle and objective points. John over at Plastic Legions does a good job of dissecting the topic.

Unfortunateley I had to miss both Core Comp and a local 1500 tournament in order to attend Ard Boyz, both of which are consistently fun times. But now I know - the whole Ard Boyz experience has been nothing if not educational!



*leaving early allowed my to take my wife to see New Moon - she was a little annoyed I was going to bail on her...so my getting stomped worked out in that respect. Too bad the movie was less than stellar.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Sounds like an overall bad experience.

Hopefully you have more fun on the 12th! :)